Orthopedic traumatology conducts specialist diagnostics (radiation, laboratory), conservative therapy (drugs, intra -articular injections, PRP therapy, cellular technology of drug regeneration, etc. ) and high -tech surgical treatment of gonarthrosis (arthrosis of the knee joint) - arthroscopy, endoprosthetics, osteotomy. . .
Gonarthrosis is observed in every tenth person over the age of 55, every fourth of these patients, this leads to disability.
Up to 80% of patients with knee arthrosis report a decline in quality of life.
The functional duration of modern knee joint endoprosthesis 10 years after surgery is 99%, after 15 years - 95%, after 20 years - 90%.
Why does arthrosis of the knee joint occur?
- Often, the cause of the development of this disease is a knee injury, especially recurrent (damage to the menisci, dislocations, fractures, hematomas, etc. ).
- The frequently repeated joint microtraumes act in a similar way during sports training, with constant work "on the feet".
- Excess weight causes an increase in axial load and damages the joints.
- Degenerative-dystrophic processes in the joints can also occur after inflammatory diseases (arthritis with gout, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis).
- Endocrine diseases, changes in hormone levels (e. g. , menopause), metabolic disorders exacerbate pathological changes in the joints.
The main symptoms of the knee joint
- With gonarthrosis of 1 degree - in the early stages of the disease, there is periodic pain in the knee joint after exercise (walking, running, standing for a long time), which disappears after rest. At this stage, there is practically no joint deformation, limitation of movement;
- Gradually, the pain becomes more frequent and more severe, especially when going up and down stairs, as well as at the beginning of walking after a long sitting (pain begins);
- With gonarthrosis, class 2 pain in the knee becomes persistent under load, disappearing only after a long rest, the patient drowns while walking;
- While moving, cramps appear in the joints. The range of movement at the knee joint is limited (when bending "all the way" there is a sharp pain);
- While examining the joint area, you can see swelling, deformation;
- With class 3 knee joint DOA, corresponding to severe gonarthrosis, pain in the joint interferes even at rest, makes it impossible to fall asleep, movement distance is significantly decreased, the patient walks on a bent leg, there is significant deformation of the knee joint (footO -shaped or X -shaped).
- Interview and examination by a traumatologist-orthopedist revealed special signs of degenerative-dystrophic disease of the joints (pain on palpation, limitation of movement, crepitus, deformity, the presence of effusions in the joints).
- X-ray examination of the knee joint is performed (narrowing of the X-ray joint space, presence of osteophytes, subchondral sclerosis is determined), if necessary, computed tomography of the joint.
- Ultrasound examination of the joints can detect thinning of cartilage in the joints, changes in ligaments, muscles, soft tissues around the joints, inflammatory effusions in the joint cavity, changes in the menisci.
- The most accurate information is provided by magnetic resonance imaging of the knee joint, which shows changes in cartilage and bone tissue, ligaments, menisci, synovial membranes, which makes it possible to distinguish post-traumatic arthrosis of the knee joint and arthritis, process tumors.
- Diagnostic puncture and arthroscopy of the knee joint, as well as laboratory examination of synovial fluid obtained during the procedure, are widely used in the diagnosis of joint disease.
Treatment of gonarthrosis
Treatment of knee arthrosis depends on the stage of the disease.
In the early stages of DOA, successful complex conservative treatment is possible, aimed at stopping inflammation, restoring cartilage, relieving pain, fully restoring joint function:
- Therapeutic and protective regime - it is necessary to limit the load on the joints, to ensure peace.
- Conservative drug treatment of gonarthrosis:
- use of analgesics, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, chondroprotectors;
- the use of local remedies in the form of ointments, gels;
- intra-articular injection intra-articular injection of a combination of individually selected drugs, which may include hormonal agents to relieve inflammation quickly, preparations based on hyaluronic acid to replenish synovial fluid, etc . ;
- PRP therapy - intra -articular injection of PRP (platelet -rich plasma itself).
- Regenerative medical methods - intra -articular injection of autologous cells of the stromal -vascular fraction, cells - the precursors of cartilage tissue, obtained from their own adipose tissue.
- Massage, physiotherapy, manual therapy.
- The use of physical therapy is mandatory with a set of exercises aimed at improving blood circulation in the joints, increasing the range of motion.
With significant changes in the joints (advanced osteoarthritis, traumatic deformity), orthopedic traumatologists perform surgical treatment of arthrosis of the knee joint using arthroscopy (surgery on the meniscus, cartilage, removal of the "articular mouse", sinovectomy, etc. ).
If other treatment methods are not effective, we perform knee arthroplasty using modern prostheses from the best manufacturers in the world. This is a reliable method of relieving a patient’s pain and restoring mobility and good quality of life.
In our day, there is no point in enduring the pain and discomfort caused by joint pain. Modern medical technology can help overcome knee joint arthrosis at almost all stages. See your doctor and take advantage of the opportunities available.